Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Consent

I don't think I am going to have any problems with consent and for that reason I don't even know if I will give a form to the parents. The kids are 16 and do whatever they want to begin with. I will definitely tell my informants to tell their parents- if they want to, considering they don't talk to their parents that much anyway, but if the parents want more information I will absolutely provide them with a run down.

Yesterday I walked into my brother's room and the gang was hanging out. I just said a quick hello and asked them if they were ready for the "fun" to begin... Then I realized I sounded like an old fart and tried to sound a little more cool. I can't believe how time is going by so quick. Twenty one is extremely young and I am aware of this but I have a feeling that studying 16 year olds, especially ones who were similar to my friends at that age, is going to really let me know those years are done! ha! I am already imagining myself being a teacher in a few years, standing in front of a classroom making a joke referring to popular culture of the 1980s, the blank stares I am going to receive is really going to age me...

Speaking of which I was doing a little preparation the other day. I went back to my old town where I grew up and visited some of the old places I used to hang out. I listened to cds that I used to adore. AND I even chatted with a few old friends from back in the day. I am just trying to rev up some old feelings of rebellion and teenage angst so I don't feel so removed from my brother and his friends. I think it's working and it's making me also analyze how my life is going presently- which is pretty well :D

That's all for now.

1 comment:

toni collins said...

I really was captivated by your thoughts on the subject, as I have had similar feelings of angst at the thought of relating to 2 teenagers...especially since 3 of my 4 kids are older than they are! But, as Dr. Rubenstein has so eloquently stated, the key is relationship building. You seem to be highly intuitive already...I think you will excel at this project!